Thursday, November 3, 2016

5 Picture Books I Get Nostalgic Over


Welcome back to Snaps, Macs, and Actual Books!

5 Picture Books I Get Nostalgic Over 

kabongo kids reading
Source: Carissa Rogers

For those who aren't aware, November is a popular month for reading and writing with month long celebrations like National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo, for short) and National Picture Book Month (or NPBM, for short). 
For the sake of this post, I'm focusing on NPBM. While it might seem self-explanatory, this month dedicated to picture books because they are just as important as a college textbook is. Picture books are typically the first books a child's exposed to; it's the start of literacy journey! For more information, visit the link that will take you to their website.
Believe me when I say how hard it was to narrow the number of my favorite picture books down to only six. So, without anymore delay, here they are....

1. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch 

Source: Amazon
I chose this book because...  
As a child, I loved this book because I thought it was cute; but the more I read it over the years, I realized just how it accurately describes what it means to be a parent: the struggles and joys and everything else in-between and the realization and understanding when the child becomes a parent themselves. 
Why it's memorable:  
It's a (not-so) subtle reminder of how much I must appreciate all the things, big to small, my parents do for me. Within in the next ten years, I will most likely be in their place being a parent myself. They set and continue to set a good example for me.

2. Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes 

Source: Amazon
I chose this book because...
If you can recall from my post about how books changed my life, I disclosed that growing up I felt a little weird and different from the rest of my peers. I subconsciously connected and identified with Chrysanthemum. She felt shunned by her peers because of her name, but with the help of her teacher, she realize that she loved her name, no matter what anyone said. For me, it was finding others who loved books and reading as much as I did.
Why it's memorable:
It's a reminder that there are people out there who are going to pick on you and try to tear you down, telling you can't do it. The ones we need to listen to are the Mrs. Delphinium Twinkle's of the world who tell us to have faith and self-confidence in yourself. It's an empowering message. 

3. Elephant and Piggie books - specifically We Are In A Book - by Mo Willems 

Source: Amazon
I chose this book because... 
The obvious reason why I chose this book is that it's about, well, a book, but that's not my only reason. What's different is that it engages the readers by speaking about them [the reader] directly. Combine that with the cheeky humor and unlikely best friends Gerald and Piggie, and you get a fantastically unique book about the truth about books and reading.
Why it's memorable:
Well, as a big fan of books and reading, this is hands-down a must-read. It's the unique and direct approach to include and address the reader's importance in this story and reading in general. The ultimate meaning behind this book is telling us is that while the story might end, it stays with a person forever.  

4. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst 

Source: Amazon
I chose this book because... 
It's a refreshing pleasure to read about a "real" boy, and by that, I mean honest and isn't afraid to show the metaphorical warts. And who wouldn't be mad when nothing seems to be going right, when one bad thing happens right after another? Viorst perfect described what's like to be a kid who's having a day with the odds not in their favor.
Why it's memorable:
I would consider this book to be a timeless "must-read". Bad days happen to us all, days when the world is seemingly against use, no matter the age; that's why it's timeless. I highly recommend to anyone having a bad day to sit down and read this book; that's why it's a must-read". Because just like Alexander, you'll learn to appreciate life in a different way that you might not have before.

5. Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss

Source: Amazon
I chose this book because... 
How could I have a list of picture books and not include at least one Dr. Seuss classic? But there's more to the reason why I chose this particular Dr. Seuss classic. This book describes what the future looks like: personal success, potential, setbacks, and how to overcome those obstacles. Dr. Seuss uses this book to tell the young minds, from preschool to high school and beyond, that future isn't always pretty, but believe in yourself and your capability and you'll go far.  
Why it's memorable:
It's focused on the future and telling the young minds that they have what it takes to be successful inside them. This is extremely important. Why? It's those young minds who will be leading the next generation. Continually nurture their minds now, and the results are sure to be world-changing.





Did I miss your favorite picture book? Let me know in the comments!

Stay tuned for my next post! 


No comments:

Post a Comment