Friday, September 23, 2016

6 Banned Books I Will Read To My Kids Someday



Welcome back to Snaps, Macs, and Actual Books!

6 Banned Books I Will Read To My Kids Someday

Source: Melissa Curtis
Growing up, I kept hearing about Banned Books Week, but I never fully understood what it was about until middle school. Back then, I had a hard time grasping why certain books would be banned because, to me, books are magical in how they let you escape reality for a little while and immerse yourself in another world. Still today, I don't understand some the reasons books are banned; some reasons are just plain ridiculous as you will see in a short bit.
I, Melissa Curtis, stand up for the right to read. I stand firm and proud in my freedom to read. So, with that said, here are six banned books I will read to my kids someday.

1.  Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park 

Source: Melissa Curtis
You can click on the title to learn about what the series is about. 
I don't know how I got started on these, but I'm glad I did. I love these books because I could identify with Junie and she made me laugh out loud many times.
Why It's Banned/Challenged: "mouthiness and bad spelling."
My Thoughts: She's a first grader, for goodness' sake; who isn't bad at spelling and a little mouthy at that age? You're probably lying if you think you weren't. Heck, I'm almost 21 years old and I still have trouble spelling sometimes and can be a little mouthy. It's her "bad spelling" and "mouthiness" that makes her so relatable and identifiable to her audience. 

2. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Source: Melissa Curtis
You can click the title to learn about what this book is about.
Freshman English in high school is when I read this book. And I absolutely fell in love with all the characters, especially Scout and her innocence. 
Why It's Banned: "racially and sexually-charged themes are inappropriate for young readers," according to Kenya Downs with PBS.
My Thoughts: I can understand why this book is banned, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. This book shows controversial issues through the eyes of an innocent child who realizes the world and life—and some of the people in it—aren't fair. For those of us who can grasp, they realize that cowards are the people who know the truth and don't speak up about it. It's a must-read for all ages. 

3.  And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell

Source: Melissa Curtis
You can click on the title to find more about this book.
I loved this book! It didn't hit me what this actually meant until someone told. I didn't think there was anything wrong with a two dads raising a child. 
Why It's Banned: "AntiFamily, Homosexuality, and Political Viewpoint."
My Thoughts: How can a book about a family be "antifamily"? If it's because there is two dads, there needs to be a better reason than that. The world is changing; there are non-traditional families now. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. It's for this reason why this book needs to be read. It shows and exposes kids to non-traditional and/or different relationships and families than they are probably used to.

4.  Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White

Source: Amazon Books
You can click on the title to find more about this book.
If I had to choose a book to sum up my childhood, this would be the book. I could read and read this book over and over again and always find something I didn't find all the other times I read it.
Why It's Banned: "talking animals are considered an 'insult to god'," according to Buzzfeed's List of "14 Classic Children’s Books That Have Been Banned In America." 
My Thoughts: It's similar to my opinion about Junie B. Jones. Talking animals? What's wrong with that? The audience are typically kids, and kids typically used to talking animals in literature and movies. They don't mind that. But people are allowed to believe what they believe, and I can respect that.

5. The Giver by Lois Lowry

Source: Amazon Books
You can click on the title to learn more about this book. 
When I read this book in seventh grade, I didn't fully appreciate this book or maybe I couldn't fully grasp what Lowry wanted to get across. It wasn't until after I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins that I finally picked up on what the book was trying to tell me.
Why It's Banned: "'violence' and claims that the book is 'Unsuited to [the] Age Group'—or in other words that it’s too dark for children," according to Ben Blatt of Slate, a daily online magazine.
My Thoughts: This is was the first of many dystopian books that I've read. It showed there are imperfections in a seemingly perfect and orderly society. I don't disagree with the claim of violence, but "it's too dark for children"? It's introducing us to a kind society we might see in the future, if it doesn't already exist. 

 6. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Source: Amazon Books
You can click on the title to learn more about this book.
Coincidentally, I also read this book in seventh grade. Unlike The Giver, I got what Hinton was hinting at (no pun intended). What really drove the meaning home was the fact my class did a real-life remake of the trial from the book. 
Why It's Banned: "drugs, violence and that old standby 'unchristian values,'" according to Joanna Robinson from Pajiba. 
My Thoughts: The first two reasons don't surprise me one bit. Because there are drugs and violence in the book. "Unchristian values" is a bit more tricky because when it comes to matters of faith, people have the right to believe what they believe. Despite what people think of this book, it's an another must-read because it exposes kids to the many injustices in this world and an emerging's teen experience with the old-age battle between the "haves" and "have nots". 




Do you agree? Did you see any of your favorite banned books? 

If I missed any, please comment with the book title and author, reason why, and your thoughts!







Stay tuned for next week's post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment